At this year’s Northside Festival, Switzerland will showcase some of the country’s best innovations and their creators. These companies change the way we eat, live, work and commute. Switzerland’s vibrant startup and art scene is part of the reason why Switzerland is the most innovative country in the world, according to the World Intellectual Property Organization and others.
Meet the founders of five Swiss startups before they go into the ring to compete at a pitch-fest with companies from Belgium and the Netherlands.
- 1DropDiagnostics, a cutting-edge medical diagnostics and life science company.
- Best Mile, an urban mobility company which helps manage any vehicle fleet that brings a solution to the last mile problem.
- Flatev, the creator of a pod-based machine for tortillas and rotis.
- Fotokite, an unique solution for versatile aerial photography.
- Starmind, a self-learning technology which applies latest insights from neuroscience and artificial intelligence in order to network and map company-internal knowhow.
- TimeRepublik, the next generation sharing economy platform where the currency is time.
Contact Cyril (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you wish to attend the Pitch Competition on Thursday, June 11, 2 - 4 pm, Screening Room, Wythe Hotel.
During your visit at the booth you can also:
- Take a flight simulation on Birdly– the virtual reality experience of flying through the air like a bird – created by students at Zurich University of the Arts.
- Learn about Solar Impulse – the first solar aircraft to fly around the world without fuel – led by Swiss adventurers and pilots, Bertrand Piccard, and André Borschberg, which will land in New York this summer.
- Take a tour of Switzerland through the beautiful Swiss aerial landscape images captured by photographer Yann Arthus-Bertrand, brought to the screen courtesy of Switzerland Tourism.
Please RSVP for FREE to attend the Innovation Expo and visit our Booth.
Switzerland will have an official country presence in the Innovation Expo, the Innovation Conference, Music, Film and Williamsburg Walks. Please see below for a program of all Swiss events during Northside.
Swiss @ Northside Festival Schedule
Monday, June 8, 2015
9pm –Sustainable Switzerland: Heating up the conversation on Climate Change
Film Screening of ThuleTuvalu (2014) by Matthias von Gunten and Timber (2014), a short by Nils Herdinger (Winner, Best Animation Film, Swiss Film Award 2015). @ Wythe Hotel, 80 Wythe Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11249
Thursday, June 11, 2015
10am – Swissmiss, Queen of Design
Keynote on innovation and design by Tina Roth Eisenberg. @ Brooklyn Brewery, Dell Innovators Lounge, 79 N 11th St, New York, NY 11249
1pm-7pm – Swiss booth at Expo
Explore Switzerland’s sustainable and creative industries. Experience the immersive augmented reality of Birdly, taking you on a bird flight through New York’s skyline, discover an exhibit on Solar Impulse 2, the first solar aircraft to fly around the world without fuel. @ Swiss booth at Northside Expo
12pm-1pm – Red Bag Media Lunch (invitation only event)
2pm-4pm – Heart of Europe: Switzerland, Belgium & Netherlands Innovation Pitch Fest
Entrepreneurs from Switzerland, Belgium and Netherlands pitch their innovative startups to business leaders Thomas Wisniewski (RosePaul Ventures), Tanya Mendendez (Makers Row) & Anthony Ha (TechCrunch). Swiss participants include: 1DropDiagnostics, Best Mile, Flatev, Fotokite, TimeRepublik and Starmind. The pitch fest will be moderated by Elliot Tomaeno, founder of Astrsk PR, a firm that services early-stage tech startups.
Wythe Hotel, Wythe Screening Room, 80 Wythe Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11249
Friday, June 12, 2015
1pm-7pm – Switzerland booth at Expo
Explore Switzerland’s sustainable and creative industries at the Swiss expo booth. Experience the immersive augmented reality of Birdly, taking you on a bird flight through New York’s skyline, discover an exhibit on Solar Impulse, the first solar aircraft to fly around the world without fuel. @ Swiss booth at Northside Expo
2pm – Panel discussion: Artificial Intelligence and its Discontents
Discuss the recent wave of innovation powered by artificial intelligence as it approaches commercial viability with some of the leading AI-focused entrepreneurs. One of the panelists is Pascal Kaufmann of the Swiss startup Starmind. @ Brooklyn Brewery, Dell Innovators Lounge, 79 N 11th St, New York, NY 11249
6pm-11pm – OY in Concert at International Music Night
Explore the experimental, indie and electronic sounds of OY, one of Switzerland's most innovative bands. Composed of Swiss-Ghanaian vocalist and musician Joy Frempong, and drummer and producer Lleluja-Ha, the hypnotic and colorful duo behind OY has electrified crowds at global events such as SXSW, Sonar, and Montreux Jazz. @ McCarren Park
Saturday, June 13
11pm – OY in Concert
Composed of Swiss-Ghanaian vocalist and musician Joy Frempong, and drummer and producer Lleluja-Ha, the hypnotic and colorful duo behind OY has electrified crowds at global events such as SXSW, Sonar, and Montreux Jazz. @ Pete’s Candy Store, 709 Lorimer St, Brooklyn, NY 11211
Saturday and Sunday, June 13 & 14
Williamsburg Walks – Swiss performance artist Marie Christine Katz will be part of this year’s Art Walk on Bedford Avenue.
Join the Conversation #SwissNSide